The potter's workshop of CIBOURE was founded in 1919 on the Basque coast by Etienne VILOTTE (1881-1957), Louis Benjamin Victor FLOUTIER (1882-1936) and a certain LUKAS.
In 1922, when the business was officially created, VILOTTE is then the only person in charge. Right from the beginning the style is clearly defined.
A classical orientation, deeply imbued with the antique style and the neo-Greek tendency of the time, deriving his inspiration from Art Deco and from the influence of the regional style.
The purpose is clear : offer decorative pieces of quality, the shapes of which are inherited from Ancient times or from traditional Basque vessels.
The material, earthenware, conveys the ever-growing infatuation for this material since the end of the 19th century.
In 1945, Rodolphe FISCHER buys this potter's workshop and as soon as 1951 enforces his commercial trade mark - RF CIBOURE, thus replacing the previous one
It will later be r3eplaces by that of his son Max FISCHER - MF CIBOURE. He brings technical and artistic changes such as the casting, a more oxidizing firing and the production of utilitarians.
This pottery owes its success, not only to its decorative qualities and the originality of its productions, but also to an excellent commercialisation, with the great Parisian shops among others.
Finally one will remember the names of its main decorators, the first of which and until 1922 : Louis FLOUTIER, then Charles André FLOUCAULT (1880-1969), Richard LE CORRONE (1909-1977), Pedro GARCIA DE DIEGO, Jean LEON or ALMES.
After 1945 : Marie FERNANDEZ active from 1946 to 1952, Maurice DAVID from 1948 to 1958 and Roger BERNE from 1951 to 1968.